Thursday, December 17, 2009

爷爷

-To see the Doctor we are-

This week began with an accompanying trip to NUH for my granddad's Blood test,
which spilled over to a need to be warded because of
haemoglobin,
white &
platelet counters being too low.

an agonising 3 hours and another 3 hour thereafter, because the supply exceed the demand for beds.
Granddad and I whining ocassionally about the slow pace but he's a calm sage
I keeping a look out for him while he sits on the chair.

Sitting at the waiting area, looking around, don't know what thoughts are whizzing through his mind. The sea of teochew vocabulary when I ask a question which I faintly understand half and he repeats the rest in mandrin.
His favourite past time is actually to count money & play mahjong with the pros who have money.
Him laughing quietly to himself when my face points blank after being bombarded with teochew.
He directing me where to push him while he sits on the wheelchair.

Having the previlage of the afternoon with him, topics begin.
His roots, his journey to Singapore from the Sounthern province of this place Swatou in China, to Hongkong, back to China then to Thailand before arriving at the age of 25 in Singapore.

The question of christianity I asked which bore a hardened heart after the brunt of so many year(he's 87), working and fighting to protect and raise his family.
Toiling his trade once as a painter, fending for himeself alone in Singapore.
How do I begin sharing about Jesus's story to this man? But I need to begin sharing.

Pray that he gets better, he should be getting home to recuperate tomrrow and the quality time to share on the story(:

No comments: